Dept. of Living Animals Exhibit Opens

Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

The Department of Living Animals exhibit opens on the Mall at the eastern end of two sheds along the south side of the Smithsonian Institution Building. William T. Hornaday is appointed curator of the department. The amount of space used will grow and animal enclosures will be added plus several small buildings. According to the USNM Report for 1888, the department is established to afford the taxidermists an opportunity to observe the habits and positions of various species, and use this knowledge in mounting skins for exhibition. Interest in a collection of living animals is also spurred by the realization that the great game animals of the United States, especially the buffalo, are being exterminated. When in 1891 the animals are transferred to the National Zoological Park, enclosures and buildings are removed, excepting the eastern shed and one small shed that will be converted into a paint shop.

Subject

  • United States National Museum Dept. of Living Animals
  • National Zoological Park (U.S.)
  • South Shed
  • South Yard

Category

Chronology of Smithsonian History

Notes

  • Mergen, Alexa. From Bison to Biopark: 100 Years of the National Zoo. Washington, D.C.: Friends of the National Zoo, 1989.
  • Rathbun, Richard. The United States National Museum: An Account of the Buildings Occupied by the National Collections. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1905. Reprinted from the Report of the U.S. National Museum for 1903, p. 261.
  • Annual Report of the Smithsonian Institution for the year 1887. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1889, p. 7.
  • Annual Report of the United States National Museum of the Smithsonian Institution for the year 1888. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1890, p. 20.

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

October, 1887

Topic

  • Taxidermy
  • Architecture
  • Exhibitions
  • Grounds
  • Museums
  • New Departments
  • Wrecking
  • Major Events in Smithsonian History
  • Buildings
  • Building
  • Museum curators

Place

Mall, The (Washington, D.C.)

Full Record

View Full Record