Letter A. W. Innamorati to James Bradley, August 8, 1966, Page 1 of 1

ID: SIA2011-1432

Creator: Innamorati, A. W

Form/Genre: Document

Date: August 8, 1966

Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 99, Box 69, Folder: 1

Download IIIF Manifest Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

  • A letter from A. W. Innamorati, Regional Director of the Public Buildings Service of the General Services Administration, to James Bradley, Acting Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution, acknowledging the transfer of the U.S. Court of Claims Building, now the Renwick Gallery, to Smithsonian custody.
  • William Wilson Corcoran began construction on his gallery of art at 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue in 1859 and hired as the architect James Renwick, Jr., who had designed the Smithsonian Institution Building, or "Castle." The building was seized by the government in 1861 and used as a warehouse and office space for Quartermaster General Montgomery C. Meigs during the Civil War. The building was eventually returned to Corcoran, and opened as his art gallery in 1872. When his collection outgrew the space, he built a new gallery nearby. The building was later used as the U.S. Court of Claims Building until 1965, when it was transferred to the Smithsonian and renovated for use as the Renwick Gallery of Art, devoted to American crafts and decorative arts.

Author

Innamorati, A. W

Subject

  • Bradley, James C. 1910-1984
  • Corcoran, W. W (William Wilson) 1798-1888
  • Renwick, James 1818-1895
  • Court of Claims Building
  • Renwick Gallery
  • Corcoran Gallery of Art
  • Smithsonian Institution Building (Washington, D.C.)
  • United States General Services Administration
  • United States Public Buildings Service

Category

Historic Images of the Smithsonian

Contained within

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 99, Box 69, Folder: 1

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

  • August 8, 1966
  • Civil War, 1861-1865
  • 1961-1970

Restrictions & Rights

No restrictions

Topic

  • Letters
  • Museum buildings
  • History
  • Personnel management
  • Employees
  • Interagency Transfers
  • Transfers
  • Smithsonian Institution
  • Art museums
  • Smithsonian Institution--Employees

Place

  • United States
  • Washington (D.C.)

Form/Genre

  • Document
  • Letters (correspondence)
  • Paper

ID Number

SIA2011-1432

Physical description

Number of Images: 1 ; Color: Color ; Size: 8w x 10.5h ; Type of Image: Document ; Medium: Paper

Full Record

View Full Record