Claudine K. Brown Named Director of Education for the Smithsonian April 13, 2010
Usage Conditions ApplyThe Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact email@example.com.
- Claudine K. Brown is named Director of Education for the Smithsonian Institution, by Secretary G. Wayne Clough on April 13, 2010. Brown will occupy this position starting June 20, 2010. As Director of Education, Brown will be responsible for defining and developing the Institution's education plan. She will oversee the National Science Resources Center and the Smithsonian Center for Education and Museum Studies, as well as coordinate the thirty-two education offices around the Institution.
- Brown comes to the Smithsonian from the Nathan Cummings Foundation, where she served as Director of the Arts and Culture Program. Prior to her work at the Nathan Cummings Foundation she worked as Director of the National African-American Museum Project and then Deputy Assistant Secretary for the Arts and Humanities, at the Smithsonian. From 1977 to 1990 she worked at The Brooklyn Museum in a variety of positions. She earned her Bachelor's degree at the Pratt Institute and her Master's degree in Museum Education from Bank Street College of Education in New York City. She also holds a Law Degree from Brooklyn Law School. In addition to her museum work, Brown has served on several nonprofit boards, such as the American Association of Museums, the National Park Service Fund, and the Smithsonian Institution Education Task Force.
- Brown, Claudine K
- Clough, G. Wayne
- Smithsonian Center for Education and Museum Studies
- National Science Resources Center
- Pratt Institute
- Nathan Cummings Foundation
- Bank Street College of Education
- National African American Museum Project
- American Alliance of Museums
- United States. National Park Service
- Brooklyn Law School
Chronology of Smithsonian History
SI Email Announcements, Tuesday April 13, 2010; The "Torch," April 13, 2010
Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu
April 13, 2010
- Director of Education for the Smithsonian Institution