Plate Glass in front of the Natural History Building

ID: SIA2009-1784

Creator: Leet Brothers, Washington DC

Form/Genre: Photographic print

Date: circa 1910

Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 532, Box 104, Folder: Natural History Building, 1912

Download IIIF Manifest Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

A cart filled with plate glass from the E. J. Murphy Co. sits in front of the nearly completed Natural History Building. The new United States National Museum, now known as the National Museum of Natural History, opened on March 17, 1910 housing the Smithsonian Institution's natural history, art, culture, and history collections. A worker is standing near the cart holding up a smaller sign that reads "The CEO W Knox Express Company, Heavy Hauling Erecting."

Author

Leet Brothers, Washington DC

Subject

  • United States National Museum
  • National Museum of Natural History (U.S.)
  • Natural History Building

Category

Historic Images of the Smithsonian

Notes

For more images of the plate glass installation at the Natural History Building, see SIA2009-1783 through SIA2009-1789.

Contained within

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 532, Box 104, Folder: Natural History Building, 1912

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

circa 1910

Restrictions & Rights

No restrictions

Topic

  • Construction (Buildings)
  • Personnel management
  • Employees
  • Carriages and carts

Form/Genre

  • Photographic print
  • Exterior

ID Number

SIA2009-1784

Physical description

Number of Images: 1 Color: Sepia ; Size: 7.5w x 9.5h ; Type of Image: Exterior ; Medium: Photographic print

Full Record

View Full Record