Exhibit of Paintings of U.S. National Parks and Monuments, January 2 - March 5, 1917
Usage Conditions ApplyThe Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
A special exhibition on the National Parks was organized in conjunction with the meeting of the National Parks Conference on January 2-6, 1917, held in the auditorium of the U.S. National Museum. The exhibit was assembled by the National Park Service of the Department of the Interior, and displayed in the exhibit gallerys of the National Gallery of Art (now the Smithsonian American Art Museum) in the new United States National Museum building (now the National Museum of Natural History). The exhibit contained 45 oil paintings illustrating scenes mainly in the National Parks and Monuments of the United States. Artists included Albert Bierstadt, Thomas Moran, and John Henry Twachtman. The oil paintings were supplemented by studies in oil by Edwin H. Deming, produced for American Museum of Natural History exhibit panels, color photographs of the National Parks by Fred H. Kiser, and panoramic photographs made by Smithsonian Secretary Charles Doolittle Walcott.
- Moran, Thomas 1837-1926
- Bierstadt, Albert 1830-1902
- Twachtman, John Henry
- Walcott, Charles D (Charles Doolittle) 1850-1927
- Kiser, Fred H
- Deming, Edwin H
- United States National Museum
- National Museum of Natural History (U.S.)
- Smithsonian American Art Museum
- United States Dept. of the Interior
- United States. National Park Service
- National Parks Conference
- Forty-Five Paintings Illustrating Scenes Mainly in the National Parks and Monuments of the United States (1917: Washington, D.C.)
Chronology of Smithsonian History
- No images of the exhibit have been located.
- Catalogue of a Loan Collection of Forty-Five Paintings Illustrating Scenes Mainly in the National Parks and Monuments of the United States. Assembled by the Department of the Interior in the National Gallery of Art in Connection with the Meeting of the National Parks Conference Held in the National Museum, January 2-6, 1917, Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, February 1917.
- Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 311, National Collection of Fine Arts, Office of the Director, Records, 1892-1960, Box 22, Folder 11, "Gallery Notes, 1917, Special Exhibitions," page 40.
- "Report of the National Museum, 1917," Annual Report of the Smithsonian Institution for the Year 1917, Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1919, pp. 73, 78-80.
Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu
January 2 - March 5, 1917