Buffalo Behind Smithsonian Institution Building
CloseDownload IIIF ManifestRequest permissionsDownload image Print
Two buffalo in a paddock in the South Yard in front of a shed erected behind the Smithsonian Institution Building. They were acquired in 1886 by the United States National Museum's Department of Living Animals, which eventually became the National Zoological Park. This photograph, taken sometime between 1886 and 1889, predates the founding of the NZP which was established by Act of Congress in 1889.
Historic Images of the Smithsonian
For another view, see Neg. # MAH 8008A.
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 30A, Folder: 19
Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu
9730 or MAH-9730
Color: Black and White; Size: 10w x 8h; Type of Image: Animal, candid; Medium: Photographic print