Wright Flyer in A&I

ID: 2003-19574

Creator: Unknown

Form/Genre: Transparencies

Date: 1950s

Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 43, Folder: 40

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Download IIIF Manifest Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

The original Wright Brothers Flyer from 1903 suspended in the North Hall of the Arts and Industries Building above the Military History Exhibition. Visitors pass through the exhibit with one young boy looking up at the airplane. The wheels of the Spirit of St. Louis can be seen behind the Wright Flyer and the Statue of Freedom can be seen in the Rotunda.

Subject

  • National Air and Space Museum
  • Arts and Industries Building
  • Statue of Freedom (Statue)

Category

Historic Images of the Smithsonian

Notes

Through the cooperation of the Architect of the Capitol, Hon. Edward Clark, the original full-size plaster model of the "Statue of Freedom" by sculptor Thomas Crawford which sits atop the dome of the United States Capitol Building was transferred from the basement of the Capitol to the United States National Museum building, now the Arts and Industries Building, and was installed in the Rotunda on December 15, 1890.

Contained within

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 43, Folder: 40

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

1950s

Restrictions & Rights

No restrictions

Topic

  • Military History Exhibition
  • Airplanes
  • North Hall
  • Exhibitions
  • Museums
  • Arts and Industries Building
  • Wright Flyer (Airplane)
  • Arts and Industries Building--North Hall
  • Museum visitors

Form/Genre

  • Transparencies
  • Exhibit

ID Number

2003-19574

Physical description

Color: Color; Size: 4 3/4w x 3 3/4h; Type of Image: Exhibit; Medium: Transparency

Full Record

View Full Record