Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
National Museum of American History. Division of Culture and the Arts
Curatorial Records, 1933-2016
This accession consists of records documenting the curatorial and professional activities of photographic history collection staff in the Division of Culture and the Arts at the National Museum of American History (NMAH), with earlier records dating back to when the staff was in the Division of Information Technology and Society, the Division of Photographic History, the Division of Graphic Arts and Photography, and the Section of Photography in the Division of Graphic Arts at NMAH, which, prior to 1980, was known as the National Museum of History and Technology and the Museum of History and Technology, respectively. Some records predate the creation of NMAH when the Section of Photography was in the United States National Museum. Of special note are records pertaining to the collecting of World War II-era photographs taken by American soldiers and their families.
Staff represented in these records include curators Alexander J. Wedderman, Jacob Kainen, Fuller Griffith, Arthur J. Olmsted, Eugene Ostroff, Michelle Anne Delaney, Mary K. Grassick, and Shannon Thomas Perich; assistant curator David Haberstich; museum specialist Debbie Griggs Carter; photo specialist Peter Liebhold; museum technician Horace D. Randolph; and research assistant Tony Brooks.
Materials include correspondence, memoranda, and notes; annual reports; articles; gift agreements; information in regard to collections management, professional societies, conventions, special programs, and committees; photographs and negatives; a lecture paper; biographical information; clippings; and brochures. Some materials are in electronic format.
Restricted for 15 years; until Jan-01-2032. Records may contain personally identifiable information (PII) that is permanently restricted. Transferring office; 5/9/2007 memorandum, Johnstone to Hoover; Contact reference staff for details.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Wedderman, Alexander J.
- Ostroff, Eugene
- Griffith, Fuller
- Olmsted, Arthur J.
- Kainen, Jacob
- Delaney, Michelle Anne
- Grassick, Mary K.
- Perich, Shannon Thomas
- Haberstich, David
- Carter, Debbie Griggs
- Liebhold, Peter
- Randolph, Horace D.
- Brooks, Tony
- National Museum of American History (U.S.). Division of Information Technology and Society
- National Museum of American History (U.S.). Division of Photographic History
- National Museum of History and Technology (U.S.). Division of Graphic Arts and Photography
- Museum of History and Technology (U.S.). Division of Graphic Arts. Section of Photography
- United States National Museum (U.S.). Division of Graphic Arts. Section of Photography
- National Museum of History and Technology
- Museum of History and Technology (U.S.)
- Museums -- Collection management
- Photography -- History
- Professional associations
- Congresses and conventions
- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- Museums -- Public relations
- Museum curators
- World War, 1939-1945
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
- Compact discs
- Digital versatile discs
- Electronic records
- Color photographs
- Color negatives
- Black-and-white photographs
- Black-and-white negatives
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 19-152, National Museum of American History. Division of Culture and the Arts, Curatorial Records