Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
National Museum of History and Technology. Division of Extractive Industries
Exhibition Records, 1926-1979
This accession consists of records that primarily document exhibition planning, development and production activities for the Hall of Agriculture, the Hall of Farm Machinery, the Hall of Forest Products, and the Hall of Nuclear Energy at the National Museum of History and Technology (NMHT), which, prior to 1969, was known as the Museum of History and Technology. Also documented in these records is an exhibition about honeybees and beekeeping, which included a glass-walled observation beehive and was in the Hall of Farm Machinery at NMHT, as well as past honeybee exhibits at the Smithsonian Institution. In addition are some records pertaining to Plastic as Plastic, an exhibition on the history of the plastics industry and manufacturing process that opened at the Arts and Industries Building. Earlier records date back to when the Division of Extractive Industries was known as the Division of Manufacturing, the Division of Agriculture and Mining, and the Division of Agriculture and Forest Products. A few records also pertain to exhibition activities in the United States National Museum sections of Chemical Industries and Agricultural Industries. Staff represented in these records include curators John T. Schlebecker and Phillip W. Bishop; associate curator Edward C. Kendall; museum specialists G. Terry Sharrer and Abraham Richards; and museum technicians Robert G. Walther and Thomas R. Wessel. Materials include correspondence, memoranda, and notes; scripts; floor plans; drawings; news releases; photographs and a slide; pamphlets; and an illustration.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Schlebecker, John T.
- Bishop, Philip W.
- Kendall, Edward C.
- Sharrer, G. Terry
- Richards, Abraham
- Walther, Robert G.
- Wessel, Thomas R.
- National Museum of History and Technology (U.S.). Division of Manufacturing
- National Museum of History and Technology (U.S.). Division of Agriculture and Mining
- Museum of History and Technology (U.S.). Division of Agriculture and Forest Products
- United States National Museum. Section of Chemical Industries
- United States National Museum. Section of Agricultural Industries
- National Museum of History and Technology (U.S.). Hall of Agriculture
- National Museum of History and Technology (U.S.). Hall of Farm Machinery
- National Museum of History and Technology (U.S.). Hall of Forest Products
- Museum of History and Technology (U.S.). Hall of Nuclear Energy
- Arts and Industries Building (Washington, D.C.)
- Plastic as Plastic (Exhibition) (1969-1970: Washington, D.C.)
- Museums -- Educational aspects
- Agriculture -- History
- Agricultural machinery
- Forest products
- Nuclear energy
- Production engineering
- Chemical industry
- Bee culture
- Museum curators
- Museum exhibits
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
- Floor plans
- Black-and-white photographs
- Color transparencies
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 19-125, National Museum of History and Technology. Division of Extractive Industries, Exhibition Records