Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
National Air and Space Museum. Space History Division
Exhibition Records, 1982-1983, 1995-2004
This accession consists of the records of Martin J. Collins, Curator, documenting planning, development, and production activities for the exhibitions The Wright Brothers and the Invention of the Aerial Age, Looking at Earth, Space Race, Star Wars: The Magic of Myth, and Beyond the Limits: Flight Enters the Computer Age, particularly in regard to the installation of an Iridium Satellite donated by Motorola, Inc. Also consists of records pertaining to Antenna Audio, Inc., production of audio tours for exhibitions at the National Air and Space Museum (NASM), as well as NASM staff audio recordings for exhibitions. Some earlier records date from when the Space History Division, prior to 1987, was known as the Department of Space Science and Exploration. Other staff represented in these records are curators Peter L. Jakab, Tom D. Crouch, Michael J. Neufeld, Dominick A. Pisano, David H. DeVorkin, F. Robert van der Linden, Cathleen Lewis, Valerie Neal, and geologists R. A. Craddock and James R. Zimbelman. Materials include correspondence, memoranda, and notes; proposals; contracts and agreements; budget summaries; meeting agendas; scripts; floor plans and design drawings; reports; press releases; audiotapes; and photographs.
Restricted for 15 years. until Jan-01-2020; Transferring office; 7/12/2018 memorandum, Johnstone to Collins; Contact reference staff for details.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Collins, Martin J., 1951-
- Crouch, Tom D.
- Jakab, Peter L.
- Neufeld, Michael J., 1951-
- Pisano, Dominick, 1943-
- DeVorkin, David H., 1944-
- Van der Linden, F. Robert
- Lewis, Cathleen S., 1958-
- Neal, Valerie
- Craddock, R. A.
- Zimbelman, James R.
- National Air and Space Museum (U.S.). Department of Space Science and Exploration
- Iridium Communications, Inc.
- Motorola, Inc
- Antenna Audio, Inc
- The Wright Brothers and the Invention of the Aerial Age (Exhibition) (2003- : Washington, D.C.)
- Looking at Earth (Exhibition) (1986- : Washington, D.C.)
- Space Race (Exhibition) (1997- : Washington, D.C.)
- Star Wars: The Magic of Myth (Exhibition) (1997-1999: Washington, D.C.)
- Beyond the Limits: Flight Enters the Computer Age (Exhibition) (1989-2011: Washington, D.C.)
- Museums -- Collection management
- Museums -- Educational aspects
- Astronautical museums
- Aeronautical museums
- Space sciences
- Museum exhibits
- Museum curators
- Audio guides
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
- Compact discs
- Electronic records
- Floor plans
- Color photographs
- Black-and-white photographs
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 18-233, National Air and Space Museum. Space History Division, Exhibition Records