Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
National Air and Space Museum. Space History Division
Project Files, 1961-1999
This accession consists of the records of Martin J. Collins, Curator, which document his activities as Co-Director of the Glennan-Webb-Seamans Project for Research in Space History. Based at and using the resources of the National Air and Space Museum, the Project provides coordination among varied repositories of space history records, public and private, and encourages the scholarship, preservation, and availability of these diverse sources. The Project also sponsors conferences, symposia, seminars, and workshops, as well as travel grants for Smithsonian staff and other scholars. Of special note is material relating to James E. Webb, former Smithsonian Regent and administrator of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Some earlier records date back to when the Space History Division was known as the Department of Space History and the Department of Space Science and Exploration, respectively.
Materials include correspondence, memoranda, and notes; proposals; agreements; budget summaries; fundraising, committee, and survey information; meeting agendas and minutes; newspaper clippings; reports; brochures; and supporting documentation.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Collins, Martin J., 1951-
- Webb, James E. (James Edwin), 1906-1992
- National Air and Space Museum (U.S.)
- National Air and Space Museum (U.S.). Department of Space Science and Exploration
- National Air and Space Museum (U.S.). Department of Space History
- Smithsonian Institution. Board of Regents
- United States. National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- Glennan-Webb-Seamans Project for Research in Space History
- Museums -- Educational aspects
- Astronautical museums
- Aeronautical museums
- Space sciences
- Congresses and conventions
- Museum curators
- Fund raising
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 18-234, National Air and Space Museum. Space History Division, Project Files