Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
National Air and Space Museum. Space History Division
Exhibition Records, 1981-2002
This accession consists of the records of Allan A. Needell, Curator, documenting planning, development, and production activities for the exhibitions Space Race, Looking at Earth, Lunar Exploration Vehicles, Explore the Universe, Exploring the Planets, Apollo to the Moon, Where Next, Columbus?, Space Hall, Satellites (and Sounding Rockets), and Milestones of Flight at the National Air and Space Museum, including revisions to some of the exhibitions. The original working title for the exhibition Looking at Earth was Satellites Looking at Earth. Also consists of a small amount of curatorial records pertaining to collections management, commemorative programs for the twenty-fifth anniversary of Mariner 2, and publications. Earlier records date from when the Space History Division, prior to 1987, was known as the Department of Space Science and Exploration, and as the Department of Space History from 1987 to 1997. Materials include correspondence, memoranda, and notes; proposals; meeting agendas and minutes; budget summaries; scripts; object checklists; photographs; a press kit; floor plans and design drawings; and press releases.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Needell, Allan A.
- Kuhn, Thomas S.
- Heilbron, J. L.
- National Air and Space Museum (U.S.). Department of Space Science and Exploration
- National Air and Space Museum (U.S.). Department of Space History
- Space Hall (Exhibition) (1976-1997: Washington, D.C.)
- Satellites (and Sounding Rockets) (Exhibition) (1976-1985: Washington, D.C.)
- Space Race (Exhibition) (1997- : Washington, D.C.)
- Looking at Earth (Exhibition) (1986- : Washington, D.C.)
- Lunar Exploration Vehicles (Exhibition) (1976- : Washington, D.C.)
- Explore the Universe (Exhibition) (2001- : Washington, D.C.)
- Exploring the Planets (Exhibition) (1979- : Washington, D.C.)
- Where Next, Columbus? (Exhibition) (1992-2002: Washington, D.C.)
- Apollo to the Moon (Exhibition) (1976- : Washington, D.C.)
- Milestones of Flight (Exhibition) (1976-2016: Washington, D.C.)
- Museums -- Collection management
- Museums -- Educational aspects
- Astronautical museums
- Aeronautical museums
- Space sciences
- Museum exhibits
- Museum curators
- Mariner 2
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 18-214, National Air and Space Museum. Space History Division, Exhibition Records