Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
National Museum of African Art. Office of the Director
Exhibition Records, 2005-2017
This accession consists of records documenting the planning and production of exhibitions at the National Museum of African Art (NMAfA) during the tenure of Johnnetta B. Cole, Director, 2009-2017. Topics covered include strategic plans, NMAfA Visioning Day, customer surveys and attendance, events, and exhibits. Materials include notes, reports, correspondence, articles, brochures, proposals, newspaper clippings, and related materials. Some records were created during the tenure of Sharon F. Patton, Director, 2003-2008.
Restricted for 15 years, until Jan-01-2033; Transferring office; 1/5/1994 memorandum, Johnstone to Fiske; Contact reference staff for details.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Cole, Johnnetta B.
- Patton, Sharon F.
- The Healing Power of Art (Exhibition) (2010: Washington, D.C.)
- African Cosmos (Exhibition) (2010: Washington, D.C.)
- Nigeria: Then Now and Forever (Exhibition) (2009-2010: Washington, D.C.)
- Earth Matters: Land as Material and Metaphor in the Arts of Africa (Exhibition) (2013-2014: Washington, D.C.)
- TxtStyles/Fashioning Identity (Exhibition) (2008: Washington, D.C.)
- Desert Jewels: North African Jewelry and Photography from the Xavier Guerrand-Hermes Collection (Exhibition) (2008-2009: Washington, D.C.)
- Mami Wata: Arts for Water Spirits in Africa and its Diasporas (Exhibition) (2009: Washington, D.C.)
- El Anatsui: Gawu (Exhibition) (2008: Washington, D.C.)
- Central Nigeria Unmasked: Arts of the Benue River Valley (Exhibition) (2011-2012: Washington D.C.)
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 18-107, National Museum of African Art. Office of the Director, Exhibition Records