Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
National Portrait Gallery. Conservation Laboratory
Departmental Records, 1999-2004
This accession consists of records describing the preparation of the temporary move of the National Portrait Gallery (NPG) and Smithsonian American Art Museum (SAAM) conservation lab while the Patent Office Building (POB) was under renovation. Several laboratories were planned, one in the Victor Building (was never implemented), temporary space at the Museum Support Center (MSC) and one at the visible conservation lab, known as the Lunder Conservation Center at the renovated Patent Office Building. The move to MSC took place in 2002 and the move to the Lunder Conservation Center took place in 2006. Materials include manuscripts, correspondence, architectural drawings, and other related materials.
Restricted for 15 years. until Jan-01-2020; Transferring office; 8/24/2016 memorandum, Milhoan to Fallon; Contact reference staff for details.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- National Portrait Gallery (Smithsonian Institution)
- Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Smithsonian Institution. Museum Support Center
- Patent Office Building (Washington, D.C.)
- Victor Building (Washington, D.C.)
- National Portrait Gallery (U.S.). Lunder Conservation Center
- Museums -- Administration
- Conservation and restoration
- Art museums
- Museums -- collections management
- Laboratories -- Design and construction
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 16-341, National Portrait Gallery. Conservation Laboratory, Departmental Records