Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Smithsonian Institution. Office of the Chief Information Officer
Systems Development Records, 1949-2005
This accession consists of records documenting the technological advances in computing systems, software and hardware used across the Smithsonian Institution. Many of the records were created by predecessor units of the Office of the Chief Information Officer, including the Information Systems Division, 1968-1974; the Office of Computer Services, 1974-1982; the Office of Information Resource Management, 1982-1995; the Office of Information Technology, 1995-2000; and the Office of the Chief Technology Officer, 2000-2001.
Topics documented within the accession include the creation of the SElf GEnerating Master (SELGEM) program; the conversion of SELGEM to Inquire; and the history of the Smithsonian Institution's information architecture and information resource management. Materials include memoranda; reports; reference manuals; brochures; guides and handbooks; briefing materials; planning documents; drawings; microfiche; organizational charts; and presentations.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of Information Technology
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of Information Resource Management
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of Computer Services
- Smithsonian Institution. Information Systems Division
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of the Chief Technology Officer
- Information technology
- Information resources management
- SELf GEnerating Master (SELGEM)
- Computer systems
- Information storage and retrieval systems
- Database design
- Inquire (Information system)
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 16-047, Smithsonian Institution. Office of the Chief Information Officer, Systems Development Records