Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Smithsonian American Art Museum. Office of the Deputy Director
Exhibition and Publication Records, 1994-2012
This accession consists of records that document exhibition planning and production, and curatorial publishing activities at the Smithsonian American Art Museum and the Renwick Gallery during the tenure of Deputy Director, Rachel M. Allen (2002- ). Some of the materials date to when the museum was known as the National Museum of American Art. Materials include correspondence, memoranda, contracts, agreements, releases, proposals, checklists, invitations, budget records, brochures, and clippings.
Restricted for 15 years, until Jan-01-2028. Box 1 contains materials restricted indefinitely; see finding aid. Transferring office; 02/20/2015 memorandum, Toda to Edwards; Contact reference staff for details.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Allen, Rachel M.
- National Museum of American Art (U.S.). Office of the Deputy Director
- Earth and Sky: Photographs by Barbara Bosworth (Exhibition) (2008: Washington, D.C.)
- Alexis Rockman: A Fable for Tomorrow (Traveling exhibition) (2011-2012)
- Christo and Jeanne-Claude: Remembering the Running Fence (Exhibition) (2010: Washington, D.C.)
- Earl Cunningham's America (Exhibition) (2007: Washington, D.C.)
- To Make a World: George Ault and 1940s America (Traveling exhibition) (2011-2012)
- The Honor of Your Company Is Requested: President Lincoln's Inaugural Ball (Exhibition) (2008-2010: Washington, D.C.)
- Celebrating the Lucelis Artist Award, 2001-2006 (Exhibition) (2007-2008: Washington, D.C.)
- Variations on America: Masterworks from American Art Forum Collections (Exhibition) (2007: Washington, D.C.)
- Modern Masters at the Smithsonian American Art Museum (Traveling exhibition) (2008-2012)
- Silver on the High Seas: United States Navy Presentation Silver Services (Proposed exhibition)
- Telling Stories: Norman Rockwell from the Collections of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg (Exhibition) (2010-2011: Washington, D.C.)
- Framing the West: The Survey Photographs of Timothy H. O'Sullivan (Exhibition) (2010: Washington, D.C.)
- History in the Making: Renwick Craft Invitational 2011 (Exhibition) (2011: Washington, D.C.)
- The Art of Gaman: Arts and Crafts from Japanese American Internment Camps, 1942-1946 (Exhibition) (2010-2011: Washington, D.C.)
- A Revolution in Wood: The Bresler Collection (Exhibition) (2010-2011: Washington, D.C.)
- What’s It All Mean: William T. Wiley in Retrospect (Exhibition) (2009-2010: Washington, D.C.)
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 15-158, Smithsonian American Art Museum. Office of the Deputy Director, Exhibition and Publication Records