Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Website Records, 2012-2014
This accession consists of three websites and one blog maintained by the Lemelson Center as they existed on November 2, 2014, shortly before the sites were due to be consolidated into one new website.
The Lemelson Center's primary website includes information about the Center as well as educational resources, press releases, annual reports, online exhibitions, and two serial publications, "Prototype Newsletter" and "News Blast."
The "Bright Ideas: The Smithsonian's Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation" blog was established in June 2012 to share the Center's bright ideas about how invention and innovation have influenced and will continue to influence our lives; other people's bright ideas told through the research that we do and, particularly, through the objects in the collections at the National Museum of American History; and readers' bright ideas.
The "Spark!Lab" website is dedicated to the family activity center of the same name within the National Museum of American History. In addition to information about the center, it includes activities and experiments that can be performed at home and child-friendly biographies of inventors.
The "Invention at Play" website was developed to accompany an exhibition of the same name at the National Museum of American History. It includes information about the exhibition, inventor biographies, and family and educator guides.
Materials are in electronic format.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- National Museum of American History (U.S.)
- Lemelson Center. Spark!Lab
- Invention at Play (Exhibition) (2002-2011: Washington, D.C.)
- Inventing Ourselves (Online exhibition)
- The Invention of the Electric Guitar (Online exhibition)
- Innovative Lives (Online exhibition)
- Edison Invents: All About Thomas Edison and His Inventions (Online exhibition)
- The Quartz Watch (Online exhibition)
- Whole Cloth: Discovering Science and Technology Through American History (Online exhibition)
- Bright Ideas: The Smithsonian's Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation (Blog)
- Invention at Play (Website)
- Spark!Lab (Website)
- Prototype Newsletter
- News Blast (Serial)
- Web sites
- Museums -- Public relations
- Technological innovations
- Museums -- Educational aspects
- Technology -- Study and teaching
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 15-072, Lemelson Center, Website Records