Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Smithsonian Press/Smithsonian Productions.
Productions, circa 1990-1997
This accession consists of audiovisual elements created during the production of videos marking the Quincentenary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the New World.
"Montserrat" (8:15), "Crow Fair" (6:56), and "Corn and Potato" (2:16) all accompanied the National Museum of Natural History exhibition "Seeds of Change" which opened in 1991. "Montserrat" documents the history and culture of the island of the same name which is used in the exhibition to exemplify the effect of the sugar industry on native life. "Crow Fair" documents the Crow event, held annually in Montana since 1904, for which the horse (introduced by the Europeans) serves as a central symbol. "Corn and Potato" documents the introduction of New World crops to the Old World.
"Old Ways, New Visions: Hispanic and Native American Traditions in New Mexico" accompanied the permanent National Museum of American History exhibition "American Encounters" which opened to coincide with the Quincentenary in 1992. This particular video was not produced until 1997 and a version was made for distribution via the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS).
Materials include videotapes, audiotape, and magnetic tape. Many of the videotapes are masters. Many of the materials were created by the predecessor unit, Office of Telecommunications.
Special restrictions on use of these materials may apply. Viewing/listening copies may not be available, but can be made for a fee, Transferring office; 4/10/2002 memorandum, Peters to SIA; Contact reference staff for details.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- National Museum of Natural History (U.S.)
- National Museum of American History (U.S.)
- Public Broadcasting Service (U.S.)
- Crow Fair
- Seeds of Change (Exhibition) (1991-1993: Washington, D.C.)
- American Encounters (Exhibition) (1992: Washington, D.C.)
- Crow Fair (Video recording : 1991)
- Montserrat (Video recording : 1991)
- Corn and Potato (Video recording : 1991)
- Old Ways, New Visions: Hispanic and Native American Traditions in New Mexico (Video recording : 1997)
- Columbus Quincentenary, 1992-1993
- Crow Indians
- Indians of the West Indies
- Indigenous peoples
- Sugar trade
- Natural history museums
- Hispanic Americans
- Indians of North America -- New Mexico
- Video recordings -- Production and direction
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 14-209, Smithsonian Press/Smithsonian Productions, Productions