Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Smithsonian American Art Museum. Curatorial Office
Exhibition Records, 1989-2011
This accession consists of records which document the research, development, fundraising, publicity, production, and execution of exhibitions at the Smithsonian American Art Museum (SAAM) and the Renwick Gallery. Curators represented include George Gurney and guest curator, Claire Perry. Also includes materials from when the museum was known as the National Museum of American Art (NMAA). Materials include correspondence, memoranda, installation plans, checklists, floor plans, images, label scripts, schedules, layouts, meeting notes, permissions, publication records, fundraising records, lectures, symposia records, press releases, loan records, and clippings.
Restricted for 15 years; until Jan-01-2027; Boxes 1-2 and 4 contain materials restricted indefinitely, see finding aid; Transferring office; 01/08/2007 memorandum, Toda to Earle; Contact reference staff for details.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Gurney, George
- Perry, Claire, 1954-
- National Museum of American Art (U.S.). Curatorial Office
- Renwick Gallery
- Time Out! Sports in Art (Exhibition) (1997-1998: Washington, D.C.)
- George Catlin and His Indian Gallery (Exhibition) (2002-2003: Washington, D.C.)
- Passing Time: The Art of William Christenberry (Exhibition) (2006-2007: Washington, D.C.)
- 1934: A New Deal for Artists (Exhibition) (2009-2010: Washington, D.C.)
- Christo and Jeanne-Claude: Remembering the Running Fence (Exhibition) (2010: Washington, D.C.)
- Revisiting the White City: American Art at the 1893 World's Fair (Exhibition) (1993: Washington, D.C.)
- The Great American Hall of Wonders (Exhibition) (2011-2012: Washington, D.C.)
- Made in Chicago: The Koffler Collection (Exhibition) (2011-2012: Washington, D.C.)
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 13-238, Smithsonian American Art Museum, Curatorial Office, Exhibition Records