Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
National Museum of American History. Division of Cultural History
Exhibition Records, 1981-2004
This accession consists of the records of Susan Ostroff, Museum Specialist, documenting her exhibition activities in the Division of Cultural History and, prior to joining that Division, as museum specialist in the Collections Support Office at the National Museum of American History (NMAH). Ostroff participated in exhibition planning teams and at times either served as research assistant or project manager for exhibitions at NMAH. Also represented in these records are Division of Cultural History curators Richard E. Ahlborn and Charles McGovern, who, before that Division was created, were curators in the Division of Community Life. Documented are the following exhibitions, some of which are proposals: Rock 'n' Soul: Social Crossroads; Spirit of America; American Voices: Music at the Smithsonian which was presented by Discover Card and accompanied the traveling America's Smithsonian exhibition; This is your Childhood, Charlie Brown: Children and American Culture, 1948-1968; 1848: New Border, New Nation; American Encounters; A Community between Two Worlds: Arab Americans in Greater Detroit; The Segesser Hide Paintings; The American Experience: Contemporary Immigrant Artists; and How We Discover.
Materials include correspondence, memoranda, and notes; exhibition proposals; planning and design information; scripts; budget summaries; meeting agendas and minutes; floor plans; photographs, negatives, and slides; loan information; brochures; press releases; fund raising information; collection policies; audiotapes and videotapes; contractual agreements; interview transcripts; clippings; and reports. Some materials are in electronic format.
Restricted for 15 years, until Jan-01-2020; Transferring office; 10/9/2012 memorandum, Johnstone to Rogers; Contact reference staff for details.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Ostroff, Susan
- Ahlborn, Richard E.
- McGovern, Charles
- National Museum of American History (U.S.). Collections Support Office
- National Museum of American History (U.S.). Division of Community Life
- Discover Financial Services
- Rock 'n' Soul: Social Crossroads (Exhibition) (2000: Washington, D.C.)
- American Voices: Music at the Smithsonian (Traveling exhibition) (1996)
- Spirit of America (Proposed exhibition) (2001-2002)
- America's Smithsonian (Traveling exhibition) (1995-1998)
- This is Your Childhood, Charlie Brown: Children and American Culture, 1948-1968 (Exhibition) (1990-1991: Washington, D.C.)
- 1848: New Border, New Nation (Exhibition) (1998: Washington, D.C.)
- American Encounters (Exhibition) (1992: Washington, D.C.)
- A Community between Two Worlds: Arab Americans in Greater Detroit (Exhibition) (1995-1996: Washington, D.C.)
- The Segesser Hide Paintings (Traveling exhibition) (1994: Washington, D.C.)
- The American Experience: Contemporary Immigrant Artists (Traveling exhibition) (1984)
- How We Discover (Proposed exhibition) (1998)
- Museum curators
- Museums -- Educational aspects
- Music -- History
- Politics and culture
- Museum exhibits
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
- Floppy disks
- Electronic records
- Floor plans
- Color photographs
- Black-and-white photographs
- Color negatives
- Color transparencies
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 13-007, National Museum of American History. Division of Cultural History, Exhibition Records