Curatorial Records, 1930-2004
Usage Conditions ApplyThe Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact email@example.com.
This accession consists of the records of the Curatorial Office of the Smithsonian American Art Museum (SAAM). Materials cover projects, lectures, committees, collections acquisitions, research grants, meetings, publications, educational initiatives, and other curator specific activities. Curators represented include Joann Moser, Merry A. Foresta, Jacquelyn Days Serwer, Lynda Roscoe Hartigan, Virginia M. Mecklenburg, Richard N. Murray, Adelyn Dohme Breeskin, and Jacob Kainen. A small amount of material comes from when Richard N. Murray was director of the Archives of American Art from 1983-1987 and from when Adelyn Dohme Breeskin was director of the Baltimore Museum of Art. Some records also date from when the museum was known as the National Museum of American Art (NMAA), the National Collection of Fine Arts (NCFA), and the National Gallery of Art, as well as from when the Curatorial Office was split amongst the Dept. of Painting and Sculpture, the Dept. of Prints and Drawings, and the Dept. of Twentieth Century Painting and Sculpture. Materials include correspondence, memoranda, proposals, images, contracts, budget records, loan records, videotapes, grant records, and other related materials. Some materials are in electronic format.
- Breeskin, Adelyn Dohme 1896-1986
- Foresta, Merry A
- Hartigan, Lynda Roscoe
- Kainen, Jacob
- Moser, Joann
- Murray, Richard N. 1942-2006
- Serwer, Jacquelyn Days
- Mecklenburg, Virginia M (Virginia McCord) 1946-
- Archives of American Art
- Baltimore Museum of Art
- National Gallery of Art (U.S.)
- National Collection of Fine Arts (U.S.) Department of Painting and Sculpture
- National Collection of Fine Arts (U.S.) Department of Prints and Drawings
- National Collection of Fine Arts (U.S.) Department of Twentieth Century Painting and Sculpture
- National Museum of American Art (U.S.) Curatorial Department
- National Museum of American Art (U.S.) Curatorial Office
- Electronic List in accession file.
- Folder List in accession file.
- For a description of the record series of which these materials form a part, refer to the "Forms part of" above.
Smithsonian Institution Archives Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520
Restrictions & Rights
Restricted for 15 years, until Jan-01-2020; Transferring office; 12/18/2006 memorandum, Toda to Earle; Contact reference staff for details
- Art museums
- Art, American
- Art museum curators
- Collection descriptions
- Compact discs
- Electronic records
- Black-and-white negatives
- Black-and-white photographs
- Black-and-white transparencies
- Color negatives
- Color photographs
- Color transparencies
SIA Acc. 12-373
5 cu. ft. (5 record storage boxes)