Museum of History and Technology, Information Technology Exhibit

ID: SIA RU000285 [SIA2010-2901]


Form/Genre: Black-and-white photographs

Date: Undated

Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 285, Image No. SIA2010-2901

Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact
Download IIIF ManifestRequest permissionsDownload image Print


ENIAC was the first electronic digital computer. Built at the Moore School of Electrical Engineering of the University of Pennsylvania between 1944 and 1946. It was used at the Aberdeen Proving Ground of the U.S. Army Ordnance Department from 1947 until 1955. ENIAC, whose full name was Electronic Numerical Integrator and Computer, spent much of its life integrating systems of differential equations which the Army and Air Force needed to compute ballistics tables.


  • Mauchly, John W (John William) 1907-1980
  • Eckert, J. Presper (John Presper) 1919-1995
  • National Museum of History and Technology (U.S.)

Cite as

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 285, Image No. SIA2010-2901

Repository Loc.

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520



Restrictions & Rights

No access restrictions Many of SIA's holdings are located off-site, and advance notice is recommended to consult a collection. Please email the SIA Reference Team at


Information technology


Black-and-white photographs

Local number

SIA RU000285 [SIA2010-2901]

Physical description


Full Record

View Full Record