Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery. Curatorial - American Art
Exhibition Records, 2007-2011
This accession primarily consists of records created and maintained by Lee Glazer, Associate Curator of American Art, 2007- , documenting the development and design of exhibitions as well as programming around those exhibitions. Documented exhibitions include "Peacock Room Comes to America;" "Texture of Night: James McNeill Whistler;" "Chinamania: Whistler and the Victorian Craze for Blue-and-White;" "Surface Beauty: American Art and Freer's Aesthetic Vision;" and "Freer and Whistler: Points of Contact." A smaller amount of records documents a planning meeting for American art initiatives at the museum and the development of "Smithsonian Spotlight: Peacock Room," a mission-critical television program for Smithsonian Networks. Materials include proposals, scripts, object lists, label texts, architectural drawings, correspondence, budgets, fund raising materials, docent training materials, concert programs, activity guides, meeting materials, notes, and related materials.
Restricted for 15 years, until Jan-01-2027; Transferring office; 3/23/2005 memorandum, Toda to Kaveeshwar; Contact reference staff for details.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Glazer, Lee (Lee Stephens)
- Freer Gallery of Art
- Arthur M. Sackler Gallery (Smithsonian Institution)
- Smithsonian Networks (Firm)
- Peacock Room Comes to America (Exhibition) (2011-2013: Washington, D.C.)
- Texture of Night: James McNeill Whistler (Exhibition) (2009-2010: Washington, D.C.)
- Chinamania: Whistler and the Victorian Craze for Blue-and-White (Exhibition) (2010-2011: Washington, D.C.)
- Surface Beauty: American Art and Freer's Aesthetic Vision (Exhibition) (2008-2010: Washington, D.C.)
- Freer and Whistler: Points of Contact (Exhibition) (2008- : Washington, D.C.)
- Smithsonian Spotlight: Peacock Room (Television program : 2010)
- Art museums
- Museum exhibits
- Art museum curators
- Art, American
- Television -- Production and direction
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 12-381, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery. Curatorial - American Art, Exhibition Records