Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
National Museum of American History
Website Records, 2011
This accession consists of seven websites maintained by the National Museum of American History as they existed in June 2011.
The Smithsonian Jazz website, crawled June 20, 2011, includes historical information, oral histories, teaching materials, and calendars of events. It also serves as the website for the Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra and for Jazz Appreciation Month.
The Smithsonian Chips Collection website, crawled June 24, 2011, is dedicated to the collection of objects, images and documentation that traces the history of integrated circuits. The website includes collections information, a glossary, and historical information related to circuitry.
The History Wired: A Few of Our Favorite Things website, crawled June 28, 2011, provides a virtual tour of selected collection objects, many of which are not on public display.
The Piano 300: Celebrating Three Centuries of People and Pianos website, crawled June 28, 2011, was developed to accompany an International Gallery exhibition (2000-2001) of the same name. The website includes a timeline of piano history and audio clips from a variety of genres of piano music as well a calendar of events, press releases, exhibition information, and online shopping.
The Science Service website, crawled June 28, 2011, allows browsing and searching of online historical images related to electricity from the Science Service collections.
The Object of History: Behind the Scenes with the Curators of the National Museum of American History website, crawled June 28, 2011, is a joint venture with the George Mason University, Center for History and New Media. It provides lesson plans and materials surrounding several objects, including a video interview with the curator. The website also provides teachers with guidance and tools to develop their own object-based lessons.
The Legacies: Collecting America's History at the Smithsonian online exhibition, crawled June 28, 2011, was developed to accompany a book by the same name published by the Smithsonian Institution Press. It highlights objects from the collections and places them in a historical context. Materials include electronic records.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- National Museum of American History (U.S.). Smithsonian Jazz
- Smithsonian International Gallery
- Science Service
- George Mason University. Center for History and New Media
- Smithsonian Institution. Press
- Piano 300: Celebrating Three Centuries of People and Pianos (Exhibition) (2000-2001: Washington, D.C.)
- History Wired: A Few of Our Favorite Things (Website)
- Piano 300: Celebrating Three Centuries of People and Pianos (Website)
- Object of History: Behind the Scenes with the Curators of American History (Website)
- Legacies: Collecting America's History at the Smithsonian (Online exhibition)
- Legacies: Collecting America's History at the Smithsonian (Monograph)
- Web sites
- Museums -- Public relations
- Historical museums
- Museums -- Collection management
- Museums -- Educational aspects
- Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra
- Oral history
- Special events
- Jazz Appreciation Month
- Electric circuits
- Piano -- History
- History -- Study and teaching
- Museum curators
- Museum exhibits
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 11-235, National Museum of American History, Website Records