Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
National Museum of the American Indian. Community and Constituent Services. Constituent Outreach. Training Unit
Program Records, 1977-2008
This accession consists of records which document the work of the Training Unit in the creation and implementation of training programs for the Native American community and related organizations. Areas of training include the care of Native American collections; the creation and management of tribal archives; exhibition planning, fabrication, and management; marketing Native arts; planning and managing American Indian cultural programs; starting a tribal museum; leadership; repatriation; fundraising; Native American languages; and other related areas. Also included are materials related to professionals visiting the National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI) to study and use NMAI collections for research purposes and to participate in professional development activities. Staff represented includes Karen Coody Cooper, Alyce Sadongei, and Jill Norwood.
Some records date from when the office was known as the Smithsonian Institution, Office of Community Services, Museum Training Program. Additionally some records date from before the creation of NMAI and were created by Native American Museums Training Programs (1977-1981) and the Native American Museums Programs (1981-1989) both part of the Smithsonian Institution, Office of Museum Programs. Lastly some records were created in collaboration between NMAI and the American Indian Museum Studies Program, Center for Museum Studies (which later became the Smithsonian Center for Education and Museum Studies).
Materials include correspondence; memoranda; workshop records including programs, agendas, participant lists, video, release forms, and evaluations; transcripts; images; reports; brochures; pamphlets; and clippings. Some materials are in electronic format.
Restricted for 15 years, until Jan-01-2024; Transferring office; 01/04/2011 memorandum, Toda to Norwood; Contact reference staff for details.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Cooper, Karen Coody
- Sadongei, Alyce, 1959-
- Norwood, Jill
- National Museum of the American Indian (U.S.). Office of Community Services. Museum Training Program
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of Museum Programs. Native American Museums Training Programs
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of Museum Programs. Native American Museums Programs
- Smithsonian Institution. American Indian Museum Studies Program
- Smithsonian Institution. Center for Museum Studies
- Smithsonian Center for Education and Museum Studies
- Museums -- Collection management
- Cultural property
- Cultural property -- Repatriation
- Cultural property -- Protection
- Archives -- Administration
- Archives -- Collection management
- Archives -- Cultural programs
- Indians of North America -- Archives
- Museum exhibits
- Museum techniques
- Indians of North America -- Exhibitions
- Indian arts -- North America
- Indians of North America -- Museums
- Indian leadership
- Fund raising
- Indians of North America -- Languages
- Indians of North America -- Research
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
- Compact discs
- Electronic records
- Floppy disks
- Color photographs
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 11-042, National Museum of the American Indian. Community and Constituent Services. Constituent Outreach. Training Unit, Program Records