Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
National Portrait Gallery. Office of the Director
Subject Files, 1990-2006
This accession consists of subject files documenting the administration of the National Portrait Gallery (NPG) during the tenures of directors Alan Maxwell Fern, 1992-2000, and Marc Pachter, 2000-2007. Some of these materials relate to Pachter's work as the Deputy Assistant Secretary for External Affairs, 1990-1994; Counselor to the Secretary for Electronic Communications and Special Projects, 1994-1995; and Counselor to the Secretary, 1995-2000. Also represented among the records is Ira Michael Heyman, Secretary, 1994-1999. Materials include correspondence, memoranda, reports, notes, minutes of meetings, videotapes, audiocassettes, and images. Some materials are in electronic format.
Restricted for 15 years, until Jan-01-2022; Transferring office; 4/4/1986 memorandum, Massa to Brough; Contact reference staff for details.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Pachter, Marc
- Fern, Alan Maxwell, 1930-
- Heyman, I. Michael (Ira Michael), 1930-
- Smithsonian Institution. Deputy Assistant Secretary for External Affairs
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of the Counselor to the Secretary for Electronic Communications and Special Projects
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of the Counselor to the Secretary
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 11-044, National Portrait Gallery. Office of the Director, Subject Files