Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Productions, 1967, 1976, 1982, 1988, 1991, 1994-1995, 1998, 2001, undated
This accession consists of audiovisual materials created during the production of "Enormous Egg;" "National Zoo: Think Tank;" "As They Really Are;" "Big Cats and How They Came to Be;" "Bengal Tiger;" "Changes: The Story of Evolution and Speciation;" and "First Look at Kumari." "Enormous Egg" is a story for children about a pet dinosaur. The production is 1 hour long and aired on National Broadcasting Corporation, Inc. in 1967. "National Zoo: Think Tank" consists of videos played on multiple screens in the Think Tank exhibition at the National Zoological Park (NZP). The original videos were produced in 1995. A second version of the exhibition videos was created in 2001. Updates may have also been made in 1998. "As They Really Are" accompanied the NZP exhibition, "Human Attitudes Toward Animals." The 5 minute videotape was produced in 1991. "Big Cats and How They Came to Be" is the story of the evolution of the genus panthera. It was animated by Film Polski for NZP. Produced in 1976, the film is 10 minutes long. It won the Council on International Nontheatrical Events (CINE) Golden Eagle in 1976 and was shown at the Sixth International Film Festival of India.
"Bengal Tiger" is a general description of the endangered animal's lifestyle. The 9 minute film was produced in 1976 and accompanied a National Museum of Natural History exhibition. It won a CINE Golden Eagle in 1977 and received a first prize Audio Visual Award from the American Association of Zoological Parks and Aquariums. "Changes: The Story of Evolution and Speciation" was used by the NZP, Office of Education to teach speciation. The 7 minute film was animated by Film Polski. "First Look at Kumari" is a 15 minute souvenir video about Kumari, NZP's Asian Elephant, and the Asian Elephant Species Survival Plan. Kumari was born in December 1993 and the video was likely produced in 1994. This accession also includes videos about NZP in general, the Friends of the National Zoo, and NZP's pandas. Materials include submasters, edited masters, masters, dubbing masters, film transfers, and viewing copies on a variety of videotape formats as well as release prints on 16 mm film.
Restrictions pertaining to the use of these materials may apply (based on contracts/copyright). Access restrictions may also apply if viewing copies are not currently available. Viewing copies can be made for a fee. Contact reference staff for details.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- National Broadcasting Company, Inc.
- National Zoological Park (U.S.). Think Tank
- National Zoological Park (U.S.)
- Film Polski
- National Museum of Natural History (U.S.)
- National Zoological Park (U.S.). Office of Education
- Friends of the National Zoo (U.S.)
- Council on International Nontheatrical Events
- Human Attitudes Toward Animals (Exhibition) (1991: Washington, D.C.)
- Enormous Egg (Television program : 1967)
- National Zoo: Think Tank (Video recording : 1995)
- National Zoo: Think Tank (Video recording : 2001)
- As They Really Are (Video recording : 1991)
- Big Cats and How They Came to Be (Motion picture : 1976)
- Bengal Tiger (Documentary film: 1976)
- Changes: The Story of Evolution and Speciation (Motion picture : circa 1979)
- First Look at Kumari (Video recording)
- Dinosaurs -- Juvenile fiction
- Museum exhibits
- Zoo animals
- Zoos -- Educational aspects
- Endangered species
- Kumari (Elephant)
- Wildlife conservation
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 09-082, Smithsonian Productions, Productions