Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery. Curatorial - South and Southeast Asian Art
Exhibition Records, 1989-1990, 1995-1996, 1998-1999, 2003-2004
This accession consists of records documenting the development of exhibitions related to south and southeast Asian art. Exhibitions documented in this accession include "Devi: The Great Goddess;" "Buddha's Art of Healing;" "Himalayas: An Aesthetic Adventure;" "Noble Path: Buddhist Art of Southeast Asia and Tibet;" and "Puja: Expressions of Hindu Devotion." Records in this accession also document the preparation of a bibliography of crafts and folk arts of India and a proposal for an exhibition of Indian shrines. Materials include exhibition proposals, correspondence, memoranda, notes, floor plans, label text, background materials, object images, object lists, and related materials.
Restricted for 15 years, until Jan-01-2020; Transferring office; 10/18/2001 memorandum, Alers to Hennessey; Contact reference staff for details.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Freer Gallery of Art
- Arthur M. Sackler Gallery (Smithsonian Institution)
- Devi: The Great Goddess (Exhibition) (1999: Washington, D.C.)
- Buddha's Art of Healing (Exhibition) (1998-1999: Washington, D.C.)
- Himalayas: An Aesthetic Adventure (Exhibition) (2003-2004: Washington, D.C.)
- Noble Path: Buddhist Art of Southeast Asia and Tibet (Exhibition) (1989-1990: Washington, D.C.)
- Puja: Expressions of Hindu Devotion (Exhibition) (1996: Washington, D.C.)
- Museum exhibits
- Art, South Asian
- Art, Southeast Asian
- Art and religion
- Buddhism and art
- Folk art -- India
- Art, Asian
- Himalaya Mountains
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 09-100, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery. Curatorial - South and Southeast Asian Art, Exhibition Records