Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
This accession consists of audiovisual materials produced by Smithsonian Productions and its predecessor, the Office of Telecommunications. Productions in this accession include "Speak to My Heart," "Source of the Mekong" and "Lords of the Garden" [Smithsonian Expedition Specials], "Smithsonian Quest," "Making of Gone with the Wind," "Celebrations," "Wisconsin Pow Wow," and "Celebration: The World of Victor and Edith Turner." "Source of the Mekong" was created in 1997 for A&E Television Networks from an expedition led by Michel Peissel to find the historical source of the Mekong in 1994. "Lords of the Garden" was also created with Hearst Entertainment for A&E Television Networks and follows anthropologist Paul Taylor to Indonesia to study the Korowai people of New Guinea. "Wisconsin Pow Wow" was created for Smithsonian Folkways Recordings and presents a general treatment of a pow wow by the Ojibwa people in northern Wisconsin. It is the first part in a two video set. Part 2 is "Naamikaaged: Dancer for the People." "Celebration: The World of Victor and Edith Turner" is a film by Paul Wagner for the Office of Folklife Programs and is a tribute to the life and work of the Turners, noted anthropologists and experts on the nature of myth and religious ritual. Materials include masters and copies on a variety of videotapes and 16mm films.
Restrictions pertaining to the use of these materials may apply (based on contracts/copyright). Access restrictions may also apply if viewing copies are not currently available. Viewing copies can be made for a fee. Contact reference staff for details.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Peissel, Michel, 1937-2011
- Taylor, Paul Michael, 1953-
- Turner, Victor Witter
- Turner, Edith L. B., 1921-
- Wagner, Paul
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of Telecommunications
- Hearst Entertainment (Firm)
- Speak to My Heart (Video recording : 1998)
- Smithsonian Expedition Specials (Television program : circa 1994)
- Source of the Mekong (Television program : 1997)
- Arts and Entertainment Network
- Lords of the Garden (Television program : 1994)
- Making of Gone with the Wind (Video recording : 1985)
- Celebrations (Video recording : 1992)
- Wisconsin Pow Wow (Video recording : 1996)
- Celebration: The World of Victor and Edith Turner (Motion picture : 1987)
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 09-069, Smithsonian Productions, Productions