Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
National Portrait Gallery. Office of Education
Program Records, 1970-2003
This accession consists of the program records of the Office of Education at the National Portrait Gallery (NPG) and documents their work on educational programming for the museum and its exhibitions. Programming documented includes "Face to Face: Adventure with History!;" "Discover Portraits: Learning to See;" "Those Inventive Americans;" and "Include Me In." Exhibitions documented includes 1846: Portrait of a Nation; If Elected . . . Unsuccessful Candidates for the Presidency, 1769-1968; The Life Portraits of John Quincy Adams; The Black Presence in the Era of the American Revolution, 1770-1800; The Dye is Now Cast: The Road to American Independence, 1770-1776; Abroad in America: Visitors to the New Nation, 1776-1914; and In the Minds and Hearts of the People: Prologue to Revolution, 1760-1774. Staff represented includes Dennis A. O'Toole, Curator; Leni Buff, Assistant Curator of Education; Robert N. Works, Assistant Curator of Education; and Lisa W. Strick, Associate Curator of Education. This accession includes materials from when the Office of Education was known as the Department of Education. Materials include correspondence; memoranda; self-guides; black-and-white photographs and transparencies; drawings; floor plans; evaluations; questionnaires; color photographs and transparencies; teacher's and study guides; brochures; pamphlets; posters; and clippings.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- O’Toole, Dennis A.
- Buff, Leni
- Works, Robert N.
- Strick, Lisa W.
- National Portrait Gallery (U.S.). Department of Education
- 1846: Portrait of the Nation (Exhibition) (1996: Washington, D.C.)
- If Elected . . . Unsuccessful Candidates for the Presidency, 1797-1968 (Exhibition) (1972: Washington, D.C.)
- The Life Portraits of John Quincy Adams (Exhibition) (1970: Washington, D.C.)
- The Black Presence in the Era of the American Revolution, 1770-1800 (Exhibition) (1973: Washington, D.C.)
- The Dye is Now Cast: The Road to the American Independence (Exhibition) (1975: Washington, D.C.)
- Abroad in America: Visitors to the New Nation 1776-1914 (Exhibition) (1976: Washington, D.C.)
- In the Minds and Hearts of the People: Prologue to Revolution, 1760-1774 (Exhibition) (1974: Washington, D.C.)
- Face to Face: Adventure with History! (Education program)
- Discover Portraits: Learning to See (Education program)
- Those Inventive Americans (Education program)
- Include Me In (Education program)
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
- Floor plans
- Black-and-white photographs
- Black-and-white transparencies
- Color photographs
- Color transparencies
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 08-086, National Portrait Gallery. Office of Education, Program Records