Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
National Air and Space Museum
Enola Gay Exhibition Records, 1987-1997
This accession consists of records documenting the planning and development of the exhibition of the Enola Gay and the controversies surrounding its exhibition and proposed exhibition. The initial proposed exhibition was titled Crossroads: The End of World War II, the Atomic Bomb, and the Origins of the Cold War and later retitled Last Act: The Atomic Bomb and the End of World War II. After much controversy, the exhibition script was dropped and the bomber was displayed in a simple, fact-based exhibition titled Enola Gay. Materials include clippings, memoranda, correspondence, images, concept drawings, research materials, film scripts, and audiotapes and videotapes from other institutions.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Crossroads: The End of World War II, the Atomic Bomb, and the Origins of the Cold War (Proposed exhibition)
- Last Act: The Atomic Bomb and the End of World War II (Proposed exhibition)
- Enola Gay (Exhibition) (1995-1998: Washington, D.C.)
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
- Black-and-white negatives
- Color negatives
- Color photographs
- Black-and-white transparencies
- Color transparencies
- Black-and-white photographs
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 07-139, National Air and Space Museum, Enola Gay Exhibition Records