Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
National Museum of African Art
Curatorial Records, 1984-2006
These records were created and maintained by Andrea Nicolls, Assistant Curator and Curator until 2006 at the National Museum of African Art (NMAfA). Materials include purchase recommendations, exhibition records, correspondence, docent records, intern records, black and white photographs, color photographs, floor plans, and electronic records.
Restricted for 15 years, until Jan-01-2022; Transferring office; 2/12/2007 memorandum, Yowell to Kreamer; Contact reference staff for details.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Nicolls, Andrea
- Generations: Birth Rituals and the Roots of Becoming (Exhibition) (1987)
- Icons: Ideals and Power in the Art of Africa (Exhibition) (1989-1990: Washington, D.C.)
- Purpose and Perfection: Women's Pottery as an Art Form in Central Africa (Exhibition) (1992-1997: Washington, D.C.)
- A Concrete Vision: Oshogbo Art in the 1960s (Exhibition) (2000: Washington, D.C.)
- Identity of the Sacred: Two Nigerian Shrine Figures (Exhibition) (2000-2001: Washington, D.C.)
- Beautiful Bodies: Ceramic Arts at NMAfA (Exhibition) (2001-2002: Washington, D.C.)
- Gifts and Blessings: The Textile Arts of Madagascar (Exhibition) (2002: Washington, D.C.)
- The Fabric of Moroccan Life (Exhibition) (2003: Washington, D.C.)
- Where Gods and Mortals Meet: Continuity and Renewal in Urhobo Art (Exhibition) (2005: Washington, D.C.)
- African Art Now: Masterpieces from the Jean Pigozzi Collection (Exhibition) (2005-2006)
- African Gold: Selections from the Glassell Collection, The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston (Exhibition) (2006: Washington, D.C.)
- Resonance from the Past: African Sculpture from the New Orleans Museum of Art (Exhibition) (2006-2007: Washington, D.C.)
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 07-081, National Museum of African Art, Curatorial Records