Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Smithsonian Institution. Archives. Office of the Director
External Affairs Files, 1879-1891, 1989, 2005
This accession consists of records related to the Birr Castle Demesne in Birr, Ireland. The Birr Castle Demesne consists of gardens; a telescope constructed in the 1840s by William Parsons, Third Earl of Rosse; and Ireland's Historic Science Centre. These materials consist of a visitor information brochure; worksheets and a workbook for teaching science to children; a book titled, Impressions of an Irish Countess: The Photography of Mary Countess of Rosse, by David H. Davison, 1989; copies of the journal titled, The Scientific Transactions of the Royal Dublin Society; images and videos of the Birr Castle Demesne; and a few unidentified color photographs. Some materials are in electronic format.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Rosse, Mary, Countess of, 1813-1885
- Davison, David H.
- Rosse, William Parsons, Earl of, 1800-1867
- Birr Castle Demesne
- Royal Dublin Society
- The Birr Scientific and Heritage Foundation
- Ireland's Historic Science Centre
- The Scientific Transactions of the Royal Dublin Society (Serial)
- Impressions of an Irish Countess: The Photography of Mary Countess of Rosse (Monograph : 1989)
- Women photographers
- Science -- Study and teaching
- Archives -- Public relations
- Birr (Ireland)
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 06-187, Smithsonian Institution, Archives, Office of the Director, External Affairs Files