Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Smithsonian Institution. Assistant Secretary for Finance and Administration
This accession consists of records that document the activities of Nancy D. Suttenfield, the Assistant Secretary for Finance and Administration, for 1991 fiscal year. Before October 1990 the office was known as the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Administration, headed by John F. Jameson.
Although most records are for the calendar year 1991, interspersed among them are documents that date back to 1984 and forward to 1992. The records contain correspondence and memoranda concerning financial aspects of major projects and functions as well as administrative activities of the Smithsonian museums, bureaus and programs. Most of the correspondence is between the Assistant Secretary and Secretary Robert McC. Adams, other Assistant Secretaries and museum, bureau and program directors and managers.
Other correspondence and memoranda with the Assistant Secretary are from the Departments of Treasury and Internal Revenue Service regarding disbursement costs and workload information; Office of Management and Budget, requesting information such as financial recommendations for fiscal year 1993; Office of Management Analysis; independent auditors concerning audit recommendations; correspondence with contractors concerning contracting procedures and policies; and correspondence with Congressman Sidney R. Yates, Chairman, House of Representatives Subcommittee on Interior and Related Agencies Committee on Appropriations concerning budget hearings.
Included are agenda, minutes and reports of and by Management Committee, Council of Administrative Officers and Council of Bureau Directors concerning Federal and Trust budgets; reports from museum directors concerning policies, product development and licensing, and budget. There are also newspaper clippings, computer printouts and drawings and sketches.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Adams, Robert McC. (Robert McCormick), 1926-
- Jameson, John F.
- Suttenfield, Nancy D.
- Yates, Sidney Richard, 1909-
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of the Assistant Secretary for Finance and Administration. Council of Administrative Officers
- Smithsonian Institution. Council of Bureau Directors
- United States. Department of the Treasury
- United States. Congress. House
- United States. Internal Revenue Service
- Smithsonian Institution. Management Committee
- Smithsonian Institution. Management Analysis Office
- United States. Office of Management and Budget
- United States. Congress. House. Committee on Appropriations. Subcommittee on Department of the Interior and Related Agencies
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 93-046, Smithsonian Institution, Assistant Secretary for Finance and Administration, Records