Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Smithsonian Institution. Deputy Assistant Secretary for the Sciences
Subject Files, circa 1990-1993
A greater part of these records document the administrative activities of Ross B. Simons as the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Science, but these records also include some material from when he served as the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Research (1988-1992). They consist mostly of correspondence and memoranda pertaining to science programs at the Smithsonian Institution and abroad. The records make reference to the Smithsonian-led "Debt for Nature" negotiations; United States-Asia Environmental Partnership case study; budget appropriations; Council of American Overseas Research Centers (CAORC); Board of Regents reports; conferences and seminars; Conservation Training Council minutes of meetings; grants and fellowships; Collections Information System planning; Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory "Advanced X-Ray Astrophysics Facility" (AXAF); research at the Fred Lawrence Whipple Observatory (FLWO); and personnel matters.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Simons, Ross B.
- Advanced X-Ray Astrophysics Facility (U.S.)
- Smithsonian Institution. Deputy Assistant Secretary for Science. Collections Information System
- Smithsonian Institution. Deputy Assistant Secretary for Science. Conservation Training Council
- Council of American Overseas Research Centers
- Smithsonian Institution. Debt-for-Nature Program
- Fred Lawrence Whipple Observatory
- Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
- United States. Asia Environmental Partnership
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 94-042, Smithsonian Institution, Deputy Assistant Secretary for the Sciences, Subject Files