Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Smithsonian Institution. Office of Exhibits Central
Exhibition Records, 1965, 1967-1968, 1970-1994
These records were created by Kenneth Victor Young during his tenure in the Office of Exhibits Central (OEC) as a designer and Design Supervisor and Editor.
The records consist of Young's exhibition script outlines and designs, mostly for the Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service (SITES); memoranda and correspondence to and from various curators within and outside the Smithsonian Institution (SI); drawings, sketches and architectural and electronic designs for such SITES exhibitions as Louis Armstrong: A Cultural Legacy, Mark Twain, Black Presence in American History, Mr. Audubon and Mr. Bien, including records related to the work Young did in the National Museum, Cairo, Egypt, exhibition work in India on Ghandi Memorial and other consulting work in many African countries. There is also some correspondence with the United States Information Agency.
The records are interspersed with pamphlets, brochures, newspaper and journal articles, exhibition reviews, color slides, requisitions for supplies and photographic duplications.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Gandhi, Mahatma 1869-1948 -- Memorials
- Twain, Mark, 1835-1910 -- Exhibitions
- Young, Kenneth
- United States Information Agency
- Smithsonian Institution. Traveling Exhibition Service
- Black Presence in the Era of the American Revolution 1770-1800 (Exhibition) (1973: Washington, D.C.)
- Louis Armstrong: A Cultural Legacy (Exhibition) (1993: Washington, D.C.)
- Mr. Audubon and Mr. Bien (Exhibition) 1975: Washington, D.C.)
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
- Architectural drawings
- Black-and-white photographs
- Color photographs
- Color transparencies
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 97-059, Smithsonian Institution, Office of Exhibits Central, Exhibition Records