Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
National Air and Space Museum. Exhibits Department
Exhibition Records, 1971-1994
This accession consists of records documenting exhibitions at the National Air and Space Museum as well as aeronautics and space exhibits at the Arts and Industries Building. Many of the records were created by John R. Clendening and Lucius E. Lomax, both designers for the Office of Exhibits Programs through 1974 and then the National Air and Space Museum. Exhibitions represented include Air Traffic Control, the Apollo Lunar Module, the Stars Gallery, Looking at Earth, 25 Years of Space Exploration, Dr. Franklin's Window, and an exhibition on the preservation of the Wright Flyer. Materials include sketches of the exhibits or proposed exhibits, technical drawings, floor plans, photographs, and artwork used in the exhibitions.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Lomax, Lucius E.
- Clendening, John R.
- National Air and Space Museum Building (Washington, D.C.)
- Arts and Industries Building (Washington, D.C.)
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of Exhibits Programs
- National Air and Space Museum (U.S.). Stars Gallery
- Air Traffic Control (Exhibition) (1974: Washington, D.C.)
- Looking at Earth (Exhibition) (1986-2018: Washington, D.C.)
- 25 Years of Space Exploration (Exhibition) (1982-1983: Washington, D.C.)
- Dr. Franklin's Window (Exhibition) (Washington, D.C.)
- Aeronautical museums
- Museum exhibits
- Outer space -- Exploration
- Space flight
- Lunar excursion module
- Project Apollo (U.S.)
- Wright Flyer (Airplane)
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 04-059, National Air and Space Museum. Exhibits Department, Exhibition Records