Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
National Portrait Gallery. Administrative Office
Central Administrative Records, 1972, 1984-1999
This accession consists of records that document the activities of the Administrative Office of the National Portrait Gallery. Topics include finance, procurement, and grant management. Records were created and maintained by Barbara A. Hart, Associate Director of Administration, and Carolyn Kinder Carr, Deputy Director.
Boxes 1-2 are arranged topically by department, project, or program, and concern administrative management activities. These include proposals, budgets, expenditures, financial reports, and related matters.
The bulk of the collection (boxes 3-9) contains material regarding the management of grant funds for various projects and exhibitions. The majority of the funding was obtained through internal granting agencies including the Office of Grants and Fellowships, the Smithsonian Women's Committee, the Research Opportunity Fund, the Special Exhibition Fund, and the James Smithson Society.
Materials include correspondence, memoranda, progress reports, proposals, funding reports, expenditure reports, notes, and related records.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Carr, Carolyn Kinder
- Hart, Barbara A.
- Reiss, Winold, 1886-1953
- Penn, Irving
- Peale, Rembrandt, 1778-1860
- De Kooning, Willem, 1904-1997
- Van Der Zee, James, 1886-1983
- Avedon, Richard
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of Fellowships and Grants
- Smithsonian Institution. Assistant Secretary for Research. Research Opportunities Fund
- Smithsonian Associates. James Smithson Society
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of the Provost. Special Exhibition Fund
- Smithsonian Women's Committee
- Time, Inc.
- National Portrait Gallery (U.S.). Charles Willson Peale Papers
- Red, Hot, and Blue: A Salute to American Musicals (Exhibition) (1996: Washington, D.C.)
- Irving Penn Master Images (Exhibition) (1989: Washington, D.C.)
- Reporting the War: The Journalistic Coverage of World War II (Exhibition) (1994: Washington, D.C.)
- Portraits in Motion (Exhibition) (1978: Washington, D.C.)
- 1846: Portrait of the Nation (Exhibition) (1996: Washington, D.C.)
- Revisiting the White City: American Art at the 1893 World's Fair (Exhibition) (1993: Washington, D.C.)
- World's Columbian Exposition (1893: Chicago, Ill.)
- Old Hickory: A Life Sketch of Andrew Jackson (Exhibition) (1991: Washington, D.C.)
- U.S. Grant: The Man and the Image (Exhibition) (1985: Washington, D.C.)
- Miguel Covarrubias Caricatures (Exhibition) (1984: Washington, D.C.)
- First Federal Congress, 1789-1791 (Exhibition) (1989: Washington, D.C.)
- Davy Crockett: Gentleman from the Cane (Exhibition) (1986: Washington, D.C.)
- Selections from the Frederick Hill Meserve Collection (Exhibition) (1982: Washington, D.C.)
- To Color America: Portraits by Winold Reiss (Exhibition) (1989: Washington, D.C.)
- Cecilia Beaux and the Art of Portraiture (Exhibition) (1995: Washington, D.C.)
- Red Grooms (Exhibition) (1982: Washington, D.C.)
- In Pursuit of the Butterfly: Portraits of James McNeill Whistler (Exhibition) (1995: Washington, D.C.)
- Hans Namuth (Exhibition) (1999: Washington, D.C.)
- VanDerZee, Photographer (1886-1983) (Exhibition) (1993: Washington, D.C.)
- Celebrity Caricature in America (Exhibition) (1998: Washington, D.C.)
- Museums -- Administration
- Art museums
- Museum exhibits
- Fund raising
- Fund accounting
- War correspondents
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 01-118, National Portrait Gallery. Administrative Office, Central Administrative Records