Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
National Museum of American Art. Office of Publications and Electronic Publications
Website Development Records, circa 1996-1999
These records document the development of the National Museum of American Art's (NMAA) website. Around 1996 the NMAA formed a partnership with America Online (AOL) to host the Museum's website. Later, in 1998, the relationship with AOL came to an end when the Museum gained the expertise and infrastructure to assume responsibility for hosting its site. 1998 also saw the advent of online exhibitions.
The bulk of the records are devoted to editorial changes to the text and images on the NMAA site and records relating to specific online exhibitions.
Materials include memoranda, correspondence, notes, screen prints, image checklists, and related records.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Thayer, Abbott Handerson, 1849-1921
- America Online, Inc.
- American Photographs: The First Century from the Isaacs Collection in the National Museum of American Art (Exhibition) (1996-1997: Washington, D.C.)
- Metropolitan Lives: The Ashcan Artists and Their New York, 1896-1917 (Exhibition) (1995: Washington, D.C.)
- Singular Impressions: The Monotype in America (Exhibition) (1997: Washington, D.C.)
- Eyeing America: Robert Cottingham Prints (Exhibition) (1998: Washington, D.C.)
- Posters American Style (Exhibition) (1998: Washington, D.C.)
- Abbott Thayer: The Nature of Art (Exhibition) (1999: Washington, D.C.)
- Art -- Exhibitions
- Museum exhibits
- Museum publications
- Computer-assisted instruction
- Web sites
- Web publishing
- World Wide Web
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 01-106, National Museum of American Art Office of Publications and Electronic Publications, Website Development Records