Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Productions, 1991-1994, 1997-1998
This accession consists of 82 video elements (Beta SP, Umatic, D2, 1" Magnetic); 6 audio elements (1/2", 1/4", 1" audiotapes); and 17 film elements (original 16mm) documenting documentary films supplementing the National Museum of American History exhibition, American Encounters. American Encounters is a permanent exhibition commemorating the Columbus Quincentenary that chronicles the experiences, struggles, compromises, and eventual coexistence among American Indian, Hispanic, and Anglo-American people in the Rio Grande Valley of New Mexico that began in 1539 with the arrival of Spanish soldiers and missionaries.
Smithsonian Productions created five short, complementary video programs in 1992 entitled, "Pueblo Resistance" (14:14); "Many Voices" (9:29); "Hispanic Resistance" (11:20); "Matachines Spanish: Bernalillo" (8:19); and "Matachines Indian: San Juan" (8:01). Productions staff created three additional 20 minute videos in 1994 entitled, "Only Death Will Take Me From This Place," a look at village life in northern New Mexico; "Spreading Beauty Wherever I Go," on the lowrider cars of New Mexico; and "Corn Is Who We Are," dealing with Pueblo Indian food.
Restrictions pertaining to the use of these materials may apply (based on contracts/copyright). Access restrictions may also apply if viewing/listening copies are not currently available. Viewing/listening copies can be made for a fee. Contact reference staff for details.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- American Encounters (Exhibition) (1992: Washington, D.C.)
- Columbus Quincentenary, 1992-1993
- American Encounters (Video recording)
- Pueblo Resistance (Video recording : 1992)
- Many Voices (Video recording : 1992)
- Hispanic Resistance (Video recording : 1992)
- Matachines Indian: San Juan (Video recording : 1992)
- Matachines Spanish: Bernalillo (Video recording : 1992)
- Only Death Will Take Me from This Place (Video recording : 1994)
- Spreading Beauty Wherever I Go (Video recording : 1994)
- Corn Is Who We Are (Video recording : 1994)
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 02-123, Smithsonian Productions, Productions