Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
National Museum of American History. Department of Public Programs
Public Program Records, circa 1977-1994
This accession consists of the records of Shirley E. Cherkasky, who served as Coordinator of Performance Programs at the National Museum of American History (NMAH), Department of Public Programs, from 1983 to 1995. Also includes records that date back to when Cherkasky was Director of Museum Programs in the Division of Performing Arts, 1977-1983.
The records consist of correspondence, memoranda, and budget files documenting the "American Dance Experience," "A Free Press," and "World Explorers" series; "The Superhero in America" and "Good as Gold" symposiums; and Saturday Afternoon Programs. Materials also include videotapes, photographs, contact sheets, and slides of program series, holiday celebrations at NMAH, and symposiums; information pertaining to the Trees of Christmas exhibitions; and records documenting programs produced by the Division of Performing Arts for Smithsonian bureaus.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Cherkasky, Shirley E.
- Smithsonian Institution. Division of Performing Arts
- National Museum of American History (U.S.). Office of Public Programs. Saturday Afternoon Programs
- National Museum of American History (U.S.). Department of Public Programs. World Explorers (Program series)
- Free Press (Program series)
- American Dance Experience (Program series)
- Good as Gold (Symposium) (1991: Washington, D.C.)
- Superhero in America (Symposium) (1987: Washington, D.C.)
- Trees of Christmas (Exhibition)
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 96-001, National Museum of American History. Department of Public Programs, Public Program Records