Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Smithsonian Institution. Office of Telecommunications
Production Records, 1981-1989
This accession consists of records that document the planning, development, and execution of television productions for the "Here at the Smithsonian" (HATS) series. Also included are developmental materials for ideas that were not carried through to a full production, as well as material relating to singular projects unrelated to HATS. Subject matter for the HATS series were wide and varied, including: orchids, Frank Lloyd Wright, insects, aviation, kites, ballooning, Duke Ellington, jewelry, and the National Zoo.
The "Here at the Smithsonian" series was aired nationwide over the Public Broadcasting System between 1982-1989. Productions were created to highlight and or record significant Smithsonian anniversaries and events, holidays, special projects, major exhibitions, or areas of unique or special interest.
Some of the earliest records may have been created by Ann Carroll who served as Series Producer for HATS (1981-1985; volumes I-IV). However, the bulk of the records were created and maintained by John P. Meehan, Audio Visual Production Specialist, and Series Producer for HATS (1986-1989; volumes V-VIII). Please note that Carroll and Meehan acted as producers on both the series and segment level during the time of the series.
Materials include contracts, correspondence, editing logs, memoranda, notes, research material, scripts, and tape logs.
NOTE: See accession 00-132 for the video tapes of the above referenced productions.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Meehan, John P.
- Wright, Frank Lloyd, 1867-1959
- Sandved, Kjell Bloch, 1922-
- Carroll, Ann
- Ellington, Duke, 1899-1974
- United States Postal Service
- National Zoological Park (U.S.)
- Inside Meteorites (Television production)
- Japan's Ceramic Heritage (Television production)
- Strike Up the Bandstand (Television production)
- That's Entertainment (Television production)
- Happy Birthday, Hirshhorn Museum (Television production)
- Keeping Orchids Alive (Television production)
- Something to Hang the Paint On (Television production)
- Restoring it to 'Wright' (Television program)
- Advertising: Yesterday and Today (Television production)
- Black Wings (Television production)
- Air and Space Anniversary (Television production)
- Corals in Captivity (Television production)
- Smithsonian Holiday (Television production)
- King Herod's Dream (Television production)
- New Deal Murals (Television production)
- On the Air (Television production)
- Zoo Vets (Television production)
- Brush of Innocence (Television production)
- Tending a Sculpture Garden (Television production)
- Holiday Celebration (Television production)
- Decorative Designs of Frank Lloyd Wright (Television production)
- Here at the Smithsonian (Television program)
- Video recordings -- Direction and production
- Documentary television programs
- Intellectual property
- Museum exhibits
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
- Exhibition catalogs
- Picture postcards
- Black-and-white photographs
- Color photographs
- Color transparencies
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 00-114, Smithsonian Institution. Office of Telecommunications, Production Records