Agency history, 1979-
Usage Conditions ApplyThe Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Eisenberg, John Frederick
- Kleiman, Devra G
- Boness, Daryl J
- Marcellini, Dale L
- Ballou, J. D (Jonathan D.)
- National Zoological Park (U.S.) Office of Animal Programs
- National Zoological Park (U.S.) Office of Animal Management
- National Zoological Park (U.S.) Department of Zoological Research
- This is an agency history. It does not describe actual records. The Smithsonian Institution Archives uses these histories as brief accounts of the origin, development, and functions of an office or administrative unit to set that unit in its historical context. To find information on record holdings, please double-click the highlighted field "Creator/Author", which will open on a brief view of relevant records.
- Guide to the Smithsonian Archives 1996
- Smithsonian Directory, 2002
- "Department of Zoological Research at the National Zoological Park: Introduction," http://natzoo.si.edu/zooview/research/dzr.htm, June 18, 2001
- Smithsonian National Zoological Park, About Us, Bios & Profiles, Jonathan D. Ballou, http://nationalzoo.si.edu/AboutUs/Staff/BiosAndProfiles/BallouJon.cfm, accessed December 2, 2004.
- National Zoological Park, Newsroom, "Conservation Genetics Pioneer Jonathan D. Ballou Receives Devra Kleiman Scientific Advancement Award", https://nationalzoo.si.edu/news/conservation-genetics-pioneer-jonathan-d-ballou-receives-devra-kleiman-scientific-advancement, accessed September 21, 2021.
- The Office of Animal Programs at the National Zoological Park was created in 1979, replacing the Office of Animal Management, and was headed by the Assistant Director for Animal Programs. That title was changed in 1984 to Assistant Director for Zoological Research and Educational Activities; in 1985 to Assistant Director for Research; and about 1996, Assistant Director for Zoological Research. The unit was renamed the Department of Conservation Biology in 2003. The Department was chaired by John Frederick Eisenberg, 1979-1982, Dale L. Marcellini (acting), 1982, Devra G. Kleiman, 1983-1996, Daryl J. Boness, 1997- 2002, and J. D. Ballou, acting head, 2003-2015.
- The main areas of research interests are behavioral ecology and sociobiology, conservation, nutrition, energetics of reproduction in mammals, and molecular genetics. In addition to these research activities the department is involved in educational activities at the graduate and undergraduate level, as well as educational offerings for members of the visiting public.
- For a history of the larger creating unit, refer to "Forms part of " above.
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520
- Animal nutrition
- Molecular genetics
- Habitat conservation
- Zoos--Educational aspects
- Wildlife conservation
Mixed archival materials