Agency history, 1969-
Usage Conditions ApplyThe Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Noon, Mary A
- Rose, Cordelia
- Blackwelder, Mary
- Burnham, Elizabeth
- De Meio, Albina
- Dreschler, Paul
- Hathaway, Calvin S
- Shipley, Dorothea C
- Langehough, Steve
- This is an agency history. It does not describe actual records. The Smithsonian Institution Archives uses these histories as brief accounts of the origin, development, and functions of an office or administrative unit to set that unit in its historical context. To find information on record holdings, please double-click the highlighted field "Creator/Author", which will open on a brief view of relevant records.
- Guide to the Smithsonian Archives, 1996
- The New York Times, "Cooper-Hewitt Shake-Up And Layoffs Reverberate," by Celestine Bohlen, June 25, 2002, https://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/25/arts/cooper-hewitt-shake-up-and-layoffs-reverberate.html, accessed January 13, 2023
- Soon after he was hired as Assistant Curator in 1933, Calvin S. Hathaway introduced a new system for accessioning and cataloging the collections of the Cooper Union Museum. By 1942 Hathaway had become Associate Curator, and his system was maintained by secretarial staff under the supervision of Mary A. Noon, Assistant to the Curator for Collections. Noon became Acting Head of the Museum in 1945, and in 1947 Dorothea C. Shipley was appointed Catalog Supervisor. Paul Dreschler replaced her in 1951, and Mary Blackwelder was named to the post in 1956.
- Shortly after the Museum was transferred to the Smithsonian Institution Blackwelder assumed the position of Registrar, remaining until February 1975. Elizabeth Burnham was Registrar from 1976 through 1978, and Albina De Meio served in that function from 1980 through 1981. Cordelia Rose succeeded De Meio and served 1982-2002. Steve Langehough served as Registrar circa 2006-2017.
- For a history of the larger creating unit, refer to "Forms part of " above.
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520
- Art museums
- Museum registrars
- Museums--Collection management
Mixed archival materials