Agency history, 1972-1994
Usage Conditions ApplyThe Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Harris, Elizabeth M
- Ostroff, Eugene
- Wright, Helena 1946-
- Marzio, Peter C
- National Museum of History and Technology (U.S.) Division of Graphic Arts and Photography
- National Museum of American History (U.S.) Division of Photographic History
- National Museum of History and Technology (U.S.) Department of Applied Arts
- National Museum of History and Technology (U.S.) Department of Cultural History
- National Museum of American History (U.S.) Department of Cultural History
- National Museum of History and Technology (U.S.) Division of Photographic History
- This is an agency history. It does not describe actual records. The Smithsonian Institution Archives uses these histories as brief accounts of the origin, development, and functions of an office or administrative unit to set that unit in its historical context. To find information on record holdings, please double-click the highlighted field "Creator/Author", which will open on a brief view of relevant records.
- Guide to the Smithsonian Archives, 1996
- Annals of the Smithsonian Institution, 1994
- The Division of Graphic Arts was created in 1972 when the former Division of Graphic Arts and Photography was divided between Graphic Arts and a Division of Photographic History. Graphic Arts reported initially to the Department of Applied Arts and then, from 1977 until about 1994, to the Department of Cultural History. After that time Graphic Arts was no longer an administrative unit for reporting purposes.
- The curators during these years included Eugene Ostroff, Curator, 1966-1971; Peter C. Marzio, Associate Curator, 1971-1975, and Curator, 1976-1978; Elizabeth M. Harris, Assistant Curator, 1965-1970, Associate Curator, 1971-1976, and Curator, 1977-1994; and Helena Wright, Assistant Curator, 1983, and Curator, 1984-1994.
- For a history of the larger creating unit, refer to "Forms part of" above.
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520
- Graphic arts
- Historical museums
- Museum curators
- Graphic arts--History
Mixed archival materials