Agency history, 1976-
Usage Conditions ApplyThe Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact email@example.com.
- Wilkerson, Susan
- Santiago, Margaret A
- Greene, Margaret O
- Kilduff, Katherine A
- Loudin, Sarah
- This is an agency history. It does not describe actual records. The Smithsonian Institution Archives uses these histories as brief accounts of the origin, development, and functions of an office or administrative unit to set that unit in its historical context. To find information on record holdings, please double-click the highlighted field "Creator/Author", which will open on a brief view of relevant records.
- Guide to the Smithsonian Archives
- Smithsonian Year
- The Office of the Registrar , National Museum of Natural History (NMNH), was established in 1976 as a part of the decentralization of the Smithsonian's central Registrar's Office. At that time, NMNH and the National Museum of History and Technology were given control over their own registration activities. The Office of the Registrar monitors the movement of collections at NMNH and is responsible for accessions, loans, and the shipment of specimens. Margaret A. Santiago was appointed NMNH Registrar in 1976. In 1993, the title of the primary officer of the Office of the Registrar, NMNH, was changed from Registrar to Collection Inventory Manager. Registrars and Collection Inventory Managers have included Santiago, 1976-1991; Margaret O. Greene, Acting Registrar, 1991-1992; Katherine A. Kilduff, 1992-1995; Susan Wilkerson, 1995-2002; and Sarah Loudin, 2017- .
- For a history of the larger creating unit, refer to "Forms part of " above.
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520
- Natural history museums
- Museum registrars
- Museums--Collection management
Mixed archival materials