Agency history, 1897-1963

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Subject

  • Clarke, Frank Wigglesworth 1847-1931
  • Tassin, Wirt deVivier 1869-1915
  • Pogue, Joseph E (Joseph Ezekiel) 1887-1971
  • Wherry, Edgar Theodore 1885-
  • Foshag, William F (William Frederick) 1894-1956
  • Henderson, Edward P (Edward Porter) 1898-
  • Switzer, George S (George Shirley) 1915-2008
  • Clarke, Roy S
  • Desautels, Paul E

Category

Agency History

Notes

  • This is an agency history. It does not describe actual records. The Smithsonian Institution Archives uses these histories as brief accounts of the origin, development, and functions of an office or administrative unit to set that unit in its historical context. To find information on record holdings, please double-click the highlighted field "Creator/Author", which will open on a brief view of relevant records.
  • Guide to the Smithsonian Archives
  • Annual Report of the Smithsonian Institution
  • Annual Report of the United States National Museum
  • A Division of Mineralogy was created as a part of the newly established Department of Geology, United States National Museum (USNM), in 1897. Frank Wigglesworth Clarke, who had served as Honorary Curator of Mineralogy in the USNM since 1883, assumed the same position in the new Division. In 1911, the name was changed to the Division of Mineralogy and Petrology. In 1942, the Division of Mineralogy and Petrology was combined with the Division of Physical and Chemical Geology (Systematic and Applied) under the former name. The Department of Geology was abolished in 1963 as a part of a reorganization in the Museum of Natural History. At that time, the Division of Mineralogy and Petrology became the newly created Department of Mineral Sciences.
  • Curators and research staff of the Division of Mineralogy and Petrology and its predecessor divisions included Frank Wigglesworth Clarke, Honorary Curator, 1897-1931; Wirt deVivier Tassin, Assistant Curator, 1897-1909; Joseph E. Pogue, Assistant Curator, 1909-1913; Edgar Theodore Wherry, Assistant Curator, 1913-1917; William F. Foshag, Assistant Curator and Curator, 1919-1956; Edward P. Henderson, Associate Curator, 1942-1963; George Switzer, Associate Curator and Curator, 1948-1963; Roy S. Clarke, Chemist, 1957-1963; and Paul E. Desautels, Associate Curator, 1957-1963.
  • For a history of the larger creating unit, refer to "Forms part of" above.

Repository Loc.

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520

Date

  • 1897
  • 1897-1963

Topic

  • Petrology
  • Geology
  • Gems
  • Mineralogy

Form/Genre

Mixed archival materials

Local number

SIA AH00046

Full Record

View Full Record