Agency history, 1984-
Usage Conditions ApplyThe Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tanner, Mary R
- Niedner, Dianne G
- Fischer, Nella K
- Cones, Tracey L
- Fruchter, Susan
- McCarthy, Michael
- Wong, Chun-Hsi
- National Museum of Natural History (U.S.) Assistant Director for Administration
- National Museum of Natural History (U.S.) Associate Director for Administration
- This is an agency history. It does not describe actual records. The Smithsonian Institution Archives uses these histories as brief accounts of the origin, development, and functions of an office or administrative unit to set that unit in its historical context. To find information on record holdings, please double-click the highlighted field "Creator/Author", which will open on a brief view of relevant records.
- Smithsonian Year
- Mary R. Tanner was appointed Administrative Officer in the National Museum of Natural History (NMNH) on February 19, 1984. She was promoted to Assistant Director for Administration in 1989 and Associate Director for Administration in 1991. Tanner served in the position until 1995. Other incumbents have included Dianne G. Niedner, Acting Associate Director for Administration, 1995-1996; Nella K. Fischer, 1996-1998; and Tracey L. Cones (with the title Assistant Director), 1998-2002. In 2002 Susan Fruchter began her tenure as Associate Director for Administration. During her time at the museum, Frutcher's title changed to Associate Director for Operations, a position she held until 2012. In 2013, Michael McCarthy became the Associate Director for Operations, serving until 2018. From 2018 to 2020, the position remained vacant until Chun-Hsi Wong was appointed Interim Associate Director for Operations in 2020 and then made Associate Director for Operations in 2022.
- For a history of the larger creating unit, refer to "Forms part of" above.
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520
- Natural history museums
- Building management
- Facility management
Mixed archival materials