SIA RU401003, Freer Gallery of Art, Building Construction Records, 1916-

Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

Records include architectural drawings, specifications, blueprints and photographs documenting the groundbreaking of the Gallery, construction, and development of the exterior and interior of the building. Later records provide documentation on the building's facade, the interior courtyard and James McNeill Whistler's Peacock Room. In addition there are photographs of the Smithsonian Institution Building, Arts and Industries Building, the Post Office Building, the United States Capitol, the Washington Monument, and the Central Market. NOTE: These papers are located in the Freer Gallery of Art.

Creator

Freer Gallery of Art

Subject

  • Freer Gallery of Art
  • Smithsonian Institution Building (Washington, D.C.)
  • Arts and Industries Building (Washington, D.C.)
  • Post Office Building (Washington, D.C.)
  • United States Capitol (Washington, D.C.)
  • Central Market, Washington, D.C

Notes

  • These records were assembled by the Freer Gallery of Art (FGA) staff to document the history of the Freer Museum building designed by Charles A. Platt. Gallery construction began in 1916. Construction was carried out by the George A. Fuller Company. The building was completed in 1921.
  • There is a finding aid for the blueprints.

Organization

(1) Construction photographs, arranged chronologically; (2) building photographs, arranged by view; (3) blueprints, arranged by architectural firm

Repository Loc.

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520

Date

  • 1916
  • 1916-

Restrictions & Rights

These records are located in the Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives, Smithsonian Institution

Topic

  • Peacock Room
  • Washington Monument (Washington, D.C.)

Place

Washington Monument (Washington, D.C.)

Form/Genre

  • Photographs
  • Architectural drawings

Local number

SIA RU401003

Physical description

5.3 linear meters and 15 oversize drawers