Finding Aids to Records of Professional Societies in the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Record Unit 7259
Botanical Society of Washington (Washington, D.C.)
The Botanical Society of Washington (BSW) was established on November 23, 1901, by a union of the Botanical Seminar and the Washington Botanical Club. The aim of the BSW is the promotion of botanical activity in the Washington, D.C., area. Most of its members are botanists of the United States Department of Agriculture, the Smithsonian Institution, local universities, and other government agencies. The Society holds eight meetings a year and is affiliated with the Washington Academy of Sciences.
This finding aid was digitized with funds generously provided by the Smithsonian Institution Women's Committee.
John A. Stevenson was archivist of the BSW from 1939 until 1975, when the Society's records were given to the National Fungus Collections. In 1978 the collection came to the Smithsonian Archives. These records include constitutions and by-laws, materials from predecessor botanical groups, minutes, membership records, correspondence, financial papers, publications of members, records of special activities, photographs, negatives, and lantern slides.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Stevenson, John A. (John Albert), 1890-1979
- Botanical Seminar (Washington, D.C.)
- Washington Botanical Club (Washington, D.C.)
- United States. Department of Agriculture
- Washington Academy of Sciences (Washington, D.C.)
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 7259, Botanical Society of Washington (Washington, D.C.), Records